13 Undercover's Wayne Dolcefino honored by IRE
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- KTRK's Investigative Reporter, Wayne Dolcefino won his unprecedented third Medal for Journalism Excellence from the Investigative Reporters and Editors.
Dolcefino was honored with the IRE award for his groundbreaking series of reports on constable corruption in 2011.
As the IRE judge panel acknowledged, reporter Wayne Dolcefino and his team "exposed a culture of corruption among the county's entrenched constables that included appropriating charity and campaign funds for their own use and allowing employees to commit time sheet fraud."
After Dolcefino's constable investigation aired, several other agencies have launched their own probes into the constables' offices. Dolcefino's previous IRE medals were awarded for his investigative reports, "Email Trail" in 2008 and "Bilingual Teachers" in 1994.
The IRE Award contest is one of nation's most distinguished competitions, honoring investigative journalism excellence. The awards recognize investigations that expose major abuses and wrongdoing by law enforcement agencies and the failure of government to protect society's most vulnerable members. This year's winners were selected from more than 430 entries.
You can see all of his constable investigations and more on the 13 Undercover section of our website
- Medical examiner: 24 dead in Oklahoma twister
- Houston will host Super Bowl LI in 2017 2 min ago
- Katy Fire Chief indicted in Valium fraud case
- Alligator found between homes in Fort Bend County
- Child abducted walking home from school in Pasadena
- Enormous python caught in Florida 53 min ago
- Is Pope Francis an exorcist?
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 'Very graphic' devastation at OK elem. school
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos