13 Undercover's Wayne Dolcefino honored by IRE
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- KTRK's Investigative Reporter, Wayne Dolcefino won his unprecedented third Medal for Journalism Excellence from the Investigative Reporters and Editors.
Dolcefino was honored with the IRE award for his groundbreaking series of reports on constable corruption in 2011.
As the IRE judge panel acknowledged, reporter Wayne Dolcefino and his team "exposed a culture of corruption among the county's entrenched constables that included appropriating charity and campaign funds for their own use and allowing employees to commit time sheet fraud."
After Dolcefino's constable investigation aired, several other agencies have launched their own probes into the constables' offices. Dolcefino's previous IRE medals were awarded for his investigative reports, "Email Trail" in 2008 and "Bilingual Teachers" in 1994.
The IRE Award contest is one of nation's most distinguished competitions, honoring investigative journalism excellence. The awards recognize investigations that expose major abuses and wrongdoing by law enforcement agencies and the failure of government to protect society's most vulnerable members. This year's winners were selected from more than 430 entries.
You can see all of his constable investigations and more on the 13 Undercover section of our website
- Man nabbed after video shows burglar staring at baby
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston 16 min ago
- It's Free Stuff Friday! 49 min ago
- HPD aims to keep officers safe behind wheels
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally
- Twin boys foil carjacking in San Antonio 6 min ago
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain 50 min ago
- Kansas City highway shooting suspect in custody 41 min ago
- 12 killed, 3 missing in avalanche on Everest
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Chris Brown trial could start as soon as today
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe