13 Undercover's Wayne Dolcefino honored by IRE
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- KTRK's Investigative Reporter, Wayne Dolcefino won his unprecedented third Medal for Journalism Excellence from the Investigative Reporters and Editors.
Dolcefino was honored with the IRE award for his groundbreaking series of reports on constable corruption in 2011.
As the IRE judge panel acknowledged, reporter Wayne Dolcefino and his team "exposed a culture of corruption among the county's entrenched constables that included appropriating charity and campaign funds for their own use and allowing employees to commit time sheet fraud."
After Dolcefino's constable investigation aired, several other agencies have launched their own probes into the constables' offices. Dolcefino's previous IRE medals were awarded for his investigative reports, "Email Trail" in 2008 and "Bilingual Teachers" in 1994.
The IRE Award contest is one of nation's most distinguished competitions, honoring investigative journalism excellence. The awards recognize investigations that expose major abuses and wrongdoing by law enforcement agencies and the failure of government to protect society's most vulnerable members. This year's winners were selected from more than 430 entries.
You can see all of his constable investigations and more on the 13 Undercover section of our website
- Sketch released in murder of two Houston women 7 min ago
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase 42 min ago
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded 35 min ago
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- Shopping for a wireless plan? Check here first 50 min ago
- Battery dead? Use the virtual smartphone 13 min ago
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer
- Counterfeit health and beauty products arrests in NY 51 min ago
- Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared 45 min ago