13 Undercover's Wayne Dolcefino honored by IRE
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- KTRK's Investigative Reporter, Wayne Dolcefino won his unprecedented third Medal for Journalism Excellence from the Investigative Reporters and Editors.
Dolcefino was honored with the IRE award for his groundbreaking series of reports on constable corruption in 2011.
As the IRE judge panel acknowledged, reporter Wayne Dolcefino and his team "exposed a culture of corruption among the county's entrenched constables that included appropriating charity and campaign funds for their own use and allowing employees to commit time sheet fraud."
After Dolcefino's constable investigation aired, several other agencies have launched their own probes into the constables' offices. Dolcefino's previous IRE medals were awarded for his investigative reports, "Email Trail" in 2008 and "Bilingual Teachers" in 1994.
The IRE Award contest is one of nation's most distinguished competitions, honoring investigative journalism excellence. The awards recognize investigations that expose major abuses and wrongdoing by law enforcement agencies and the failure of government to protect society's most vulnerable members. This year's winners were selected from more than 430 entries.
You can see all of his constable investigations and more on the 13 Undercover section of our website
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou 19 min ago
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Two women found dead in Galveston County
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshall: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana money 8 min ago
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M 54 min ago
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California 3 min ago
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game 12 min ago
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Mark Kelly, twin brother enlisted for NASA study
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Will Justin Bieber be at Houston rodeo? 37 min ago