Records show hotel had fire code violations before deadly blaze
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- While we don't know what caused the five-alarm fire that killed four firefighters on Friday, we do know the southwest Houston has a history with fire inspectors.
We've been pouring over public records to try and learn as much as we can about the location where this tragic fire took place. And it's had its share of problems.
The fire reportedly started in the hotel's restaurant, which had been recently inspected by the health department.
Records show back in March of this year, an inspector found that a grease trap had not been cleaned a minimum of every 90 days, as required. And in January, there was another problem with the grease traps when inspectors reminded them they must empty them every 90 days.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, the majority of restaurant fires originate on kitchen cooking appliances and flare into the kitchen exhaust system.
As far as the hotel itself, it was cited by the fire department just this past February for several fire code violations, according to the city's inspection database.
Fire inspectors noted the fire alarm system needs to be serviced. Also, the hotel's last recorded gas leak test was conducted in 2005. That's a violation because they are required every five years.
Finally, the inspector wrote "make sure all rooms have working smoke alarms". They even put down Room 276, which apparently did not have a working alarm.
The hotel has also been the scene of a lot of calls to police. Houston Police Department records show there have been 53 crimes reported at that hotel from January 2012 through March of 2013. These crimes include robberies, assaults, drugs and prostitution.
13 undercover, brian collister
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Sketch released in murder of women found dumped 36 min ago
- Murder suspect vomits during graphic testimony
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student
- Police: Drunk man demanded bed to sleep 28 min ago
- Woman found living with dead spouse for month 25 min ago
- No outings for Clear Lake drowning mom
- Two sent to hospital after gas leak at HISD middle school
- 'We are burying a body,' suspects tell police
- Suspect in violent House of Pies robbery charged
- Sandy Hook shooter's dad wishes son was never born
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin 44 min ago
- Sunday's mutton bustin' at RodeoHouston
47 min ago