Harris County employees' information compromised
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- 13 Undercover has exclusive information about a security breach affecting thousands of current and former Harris County employees. Now the race is on to find out how sensitive information from workers here in Houston wound up half way around the world.
If you're one of thousands of Harris County's public servants, you may be going to bed with an uneasy feeling. That's because a total stranger had access to your most personal information.
13 Undercover has learned that the FBI alerted Harris County officials to the problem earlier this week.
Agents discovered two electronic files in Vietnam, and both were full of sensitive information for 16,000 current and former county workers. We're talking about names, Social Security numbers and dates of birth.
The county says it's taking the breach very seriously and is working closely with the FBI.
"First of all, figure out what happened. Figure out who might be responsible for this unauthorized disclosure and to notify all of the county employees," First Assistant County Attorney Robert Soard said.
The FBI has asked the county to look at its records for any clues about how this information turned up in the wrong hands.
We're told that the two files, one from 2005 the other from 2007, were created before the county put in place in stricter identity theft regulations.
If you are an employee who may be affected by this security breach, you are urged to check your bank statements and credit reports for any suspicious activity.
13 undercover, brian collister
- Smash and grab burglar targets tattoo parlor 14 min ago
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe 6 min ago
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Couple dead in apparent murder-suicide 13 min ago
- 'Real Housewives' Porsha Williams arrested 12 min ago
- Chip in at Chipotle for Discovery Green 29 min ago
- Most insane job interview ever
- No sew: Create Easter tutus on the cheap 13 min ago
- Firetruck plows into LA-area cafe; 15 hurt
- Robber who was homesick for prison to be sentenced
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Travis Herzog's Thursday weather forecast
57 min ago