Harris County employees' information compromised
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- 13 Undercover has exclusive information about a security breach affecting thousands of current and former Harris County employees. Now the race is on to find out how sensitive information from workers here in Houston wound up half way around the world.
If you're one of thousands of Harris County's public servants, you may be going to bed with an uneasy feeling. That's because a total stranger had access to your most personal information.
13 Undercover has learned that the FBI alerted Harris County officials to the problem earlier this week.
Agents discovered two electronic files in Vietnam, and both were full of sensitive information for 16,000 current and former county workers. We're talking about names, Social Security numbers and dates of birth.
The county says it's taking the breach very seriously and is working closely with the FBI.
"First of all, figure out what happened. Figure out who might be responsible for this unauthorized disclosure and to notify all of the county employees," First Assistant County Attorney Robert Soard said.
The FBI has asked the county to look at its records for any clues about how this information turned up in the wrong hands.
We're told that the two files, one from 2005 the other from 2007, were created before the county put in place in stricter identity theft regulations.
If you are an employee who may be affected by this security breach, you are urged to check your bank statements and credit reports for any suspicious activity.
13 undercover, brian collister
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Sketch released in murder of women found dumped
- Murder suspect vomits during graphic testimony
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Woman accused of preying on elderly man
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student
- Police: Drunk man demanded bed to sleep
- Woman found living with dead spouse for month
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school 55 min ago
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
7 min ago