Woman allegedly tried to smuggle grenade into prison inside her vagina
(4/19/06 - SAN SALVADOR, El Salvador) -- A Salvadoran woman was detained after she tried to smuggle into the country's main prison a military grenade and marijuana hidden in her vagina, authorities said Wednesday.
Officials subsequently raised the security level at jails across the country, prison system spokesman Alberto Uribe said, adding the discovery showed "the inmates are planning something."
Lidia Alvarado, 44, was found hiding a cylinder containing the weapon and the drugs, as she entered La Esperanza prison on the northeastern outskirts of the capital of San Salvador, Uribe said.
She was turned over to police and charged with illegal weapons possession and drug trafficking, he said. Police who inspected the M-67 grenade said it was in working condition.
Alvarado was visiting two inmates, serving 25 and 30 years. Each had been convicted of rape, robbery and illegal arms possession.
Prison Director Wilson Galeas was quoted by the daily newspaper La Prensa Grafica as saying it was not the first time Alvarado had visited the two convicts.
Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital 20 min ago
- Fire marshall: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana money 18 min ago
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M 10 min ago
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County 45 min ago
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Mark Kelly, twin brother enlisted for NASA study
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Will Justin Beiber be at Houston rodeo?
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Family: Walmart steaks were laced with LSD