'Elf' jailed over dynamite hoax on mall Santa
MORROW, GA -- A man dressed as an elf is jailed after police in Georgia say he told a mall Santa that he was carrying dynamite.
Police say Southlake Mall in suburban Atlanta was evacuated but no explosives were found.
Morrow police arrested 45-year-old William C. Caldwell III, who was being held without bond Thursday in the Clayton County jail. He was not part of the mall's Christmas staff.
Police say Caldwell got in line Wednesday evening to have his picture taken with Santa Claus.
Police say when Caldwell reached the front of the line, he told Santa he had dynamite in his bag. Santa called mall security and Caldwell was arrested.
Caldwell faces several charges, including having hoax devices and making terroristic threats.
santa, georgia, bizarre
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- New Houston light rail line opens for business
- Man barricades himself in house after allegedly killing wife
- 4 arrested on murder charges in NJ mall carjacking
- Ice pellets and snow frustrate holiday travel rush
- 'Topless' protest falls flat on Brazil beach
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Video: Wind damage in River Oaks area