Students get free breakfast, but suspended too
WEST WARWICK, RI -- Dozens of students from a Rhode Island high school who skipped classes for a free breakfast at Denny's got grand slammed with suspensions.
Officials at West Warwick High School tell The Providence Journal that 46 students went to Denny's in Warwick on Feb. 9 to take advantage of a free "Grand Slam" breakfast.
Assistant Principal Paula Santos got wind of the outing and drove to the restaurant to tell the students to go to school. Principal Karen Tarasevich says students who immediately went back were dismissed with a suspension mark on their records. Those who didn't return got two-day suspensions.
Tarasevich says she cracked down because last year students did the same thing, and one was involved in a car crash as he returned to school.
rhode island, bizarre
- weather: Severe weather across SE Texas
- Search in OK nears completion; tornado was EF5
- Houston will host Super Bowl LI in 2017
- Alligator found between homes in Fort Bend County
- Strong storms roll over SE Texas 33 min ago
- New facial filler targets tiny wrinkles
- Do you know all the apps your kids are using?
- 2nd suspect in Alief murders surrenders
- Katy Fire Chief indicted in Valium diversion case
- Newest 'Dancing' winner crowned
- Microsoft's Xbox One to go on sale late 2013
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 'Very graphic' devastation at OK elem. school
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos