Students get free breakfast, but suspended too
WEST WARWICK, RI -- Dozens of students from a Rhode Island high school who skipped classes for a free breakfast at Denny's got grand slammed with suspensions.
Officials at West Warwick High School tell The Providence Journal that 46 students went to Denny's in Warwick on Feb. 9 to take advantage of a free "Grand Slam" breakfast.
Assistant Principal Paula Santos got wind of the outing and drove to the restaurant to tell the students to go to school. Principal Karen Tarasevich says students who immediately went back were dismissed with a suspension mark on their records. Those who didn't return got two-day suspensions.
Tarasevich says she cracked down because last year students did the same thing, and one was involved in a car crash as he returned to school.
rhode island, bizarre
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home
- Cigarette blamed for Taco Bell fire in Katy
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Robber dashes out of vision store with pricy shades
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- Residents on edge after Montgomery Co. flu deaths 49 min ago
- Chevron puts downtown Houston building plans on hold
- Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson off the show after gay remark
- East Texas company making healthcare affordable
- Video: Lovie Smith interviews with Texans 3 min ago
- Video: JJ Watt now a superhero 3 min ago
- Investigators: Driver drank cologne to hide alcohol smell
- Dozens of people injured in London theater collapse 41 min ago
- Jury reaches verdict in disputed Farrah Fawcett portrait
- Travis Herzog's Thursday forecast
8 min ago
- Lovie Smith interviews with Texans
3 min ago
- JJ Watt now a superhero
3 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos