Students get free breakfast, but suspended too
WEST WARWICK, RI -- Dozens of students from a Rhode Island high school who skipped classes for a free breakfast at Denny's got grand slammed with suspensions.
Officials at West Warwick High School tell The Providence Journal that 46 students went to Denny's in Warwick on Feb. 9 to take advantage of a free "Grand Slam" breakfast.
Assistant Principal Paula Santos got wind of the outing and drove to the restaurant to tell the students to go to school. Principal Karen Tarasevich says students who immediately went back were dismissed with a suspension mark on their records. Those who didn't return got two-day suspensions.
Tarasevich says she cracked down because last year students did the same thing, and one was involved in a car crash as he returned to school.
rhode island, bizarre
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown 18 min ago
- Liberty Co. judge, wife injured in head-on wreck
- 4 killed, 3 injured in wreck involving taxi in Pasadena 16 min ago
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center
- Hope this doesn't make you sick
- Galveston hosting annual Chicken Shack Strut today
- Authorities searching for sex assault fugitive
- Student pays off $25,000 college tuition with pennies
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- METRO temporarily suspending part of Red Line
- Behold, the pizza cake
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290