Man tries to elude police by jumping into lake
ANCHORAGE, AK -- A 29-year-old Anchorage man who fled a traffic stop by jumping into a small lake and taking off his clothes was arrested after authorities fished him out.
Joshua Ellis was arrested Wednesday evening on charges of eluding, resisting arrest, false information and driving while intoxicated. His bail has been set at $5,000.
Police said Lt. Garry Gilliam was trying to pull over Ellis for speeding in a construction zone.
They said Ellis then fled in his Subaru, striking a construction cone and driving through a road section that was closed to traffic.
According to police, Gilliam blocked the Subaru in the parking lot of a park and approached the vehicle. They said when he opened the car's door, Ellis ran off and jumped into Waldon Lake.
Police said Ellis emerged from the water but jumped back in when Gilliam approached with handcuffs. At some point, Ellis took off his shirt, pants and shoes, police said.
Authorities finally obtained a boat from the Anchorage Fire Department, which an officer and a firefighter took to arrest Ellis. Lt. Dave Parker said Ellis grabbed the firefighter during a brief struggle.
Ellis also gave a false name, police said.
- After bombs, Boston Marathon under tight security
- Robbery call leads to wild chase in north Houston
- Rockets drop heartbreaker to Blazers in Game 1
- Woman killed while retrieving keys 12 min ago
- Group offers free prom dresses to girls
- Lohan says on reality show she had miscarriage
- SKorean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous'
- Kraft recalling 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck will be charged
- Teen survives California to Hawaii flight in wheel well
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- General Mills scraps controversial new legal terms
- New study says laughing makes your brain work better
- Car hits packed Florida church, injuring about 20
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos