Police: Fla. clerk's gun beats thief's cattle prod
TALLAHASSEE, FL -- Authorities say a Florida Panhandle man has been arrested after he tried to rob a convenience store with a cattle prod but was thwarted by a clerk with a gun.
The Leon County Sheriff's Office says 26-year-old Lance Tomberlin went into a store just outside Tallahassee on January 2, produced the cattle prod and demanded money from the clerk. Officials say he shocked the clerk several times before the clerk pulled a handgun.
Authorities say Tomberlin fled and another employee tried to restrain him, but he eventually escaped in his truck. Deputies stopped Tomberlin's truck but he fled on foot.
The sheriff's office says Tomberlin was arrested Tuesday and charged with armed robbery and aggravated battery.
Jail records didn't say if Tomberlin had an attorney. He was being held without bail.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Vandals strike vehicles in Heights neighborhood 41 min ago
- Parts of Astrodome demolished
- Smoke prompts IAH Terminal B evacuations
- Police say girl finds her murdered mother
- 5 Things to Know for Today 51 min ago
- Big rig driver involved in deadly wreck due in court today
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- More cold air moves in; sunshine returns tomorrow 32 min ago
- Video: Amazing video from N. Texas after winter... 20 min ago
- Just what we needed - a tougher cockroach
- Texas touts law protecting Christmas in schools
- Gary Kubiak thanks team, fans in full page ad
- Good idea or bad? Baby bouncy chair with attached iPad 8 min ago
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's powerful uncle
- Amazing video from N. Texas after winter...
20 min ago