Freezing weather wipes out German flea circus
BERLIN, Germany -- An entire troupe of performing fleas has fallen victim to the freezing temperatures currently gripping Germany.
Flea circus director Robert Birk says he was shocked to find all of his 300 fleas dead inside their transport box Wednesday morning.
The circus immediately scrambled to find and train a new batch so it could fulfill its engagements at an open-air fair in the western town of Mechernich-Kommern.
Michael Faber, who organizes the fair, told The Associated Press that an insect expert at a nearby university was able to provide 50 fleas in time for the first show Sunday.
Faber says he hopes they'll "get through this without any more fatalities."
Birk said it was the first time his circus had lost all of its fleas to the cold in one go.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Man nabbed after video shows burglar staring at baby
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston 59 min ago
- It's Free Stuff Friday!
- HPD aims to keep officers safe behind wheels
- Man avoids $525 fine for soda refill 9 min ago
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally 12 min ago
- Twin boys foil carjacking in San Antonio 20 min ago
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain 22 min ago
- Kansas City highway shooting suspect in custody
- 12 killed, 3 missing in avalanche on Everest
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Chris Brown trial could start as soon as today
- Travis Herzog's Friday weather forecast
35 min ago