Freezing weather wipes out German flea circus
BERLIN, Germany -- An entire troupe of performing fleas has fallen victim to the freezing temperatures currently gripping Germany.
Flea circus director Robert Birk says he was shocked to find all of his 300 fleas dead inside their transport box Wednesday morning.
The circus immediately scrambled to find and train a new batch so it could fulfill its engagements at an open-air fair in the western town of Mechernich-Kommern.
Michael Faber, who organizes the fair, told The Associated Press that an insect expert at a nearby university was able to provide 50 fleas in time for the first show Sunday.
Faber says he hopes they'll "get through this without any more fatalities."
Birk said it was the first time his circus had lost all of its fleas to the cold in one go.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Local post offices open today for holiday rush 2 min ago
- Parts of Astrodome to be demolished 47 min ago
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband wanted
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Winter Weather advisory for several local counties
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston
- South Africans pray for Mandela 4 min ago
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- Teacher says he was fired because he's gay
- Icy storm sends Houston workers to help North Texas
- HFD captain receives award for courage
- Member of 2005 Astros World Series team returns
- Drivers stuck on icy I-35 as cold blast hits Texas
- David Tillman's weather forecast
55 min ago