Alaska man runs onto frozen lake to avoid jail
ANCHORAGE, AK -- Anchorage police say a young man who didn't want to return to jail ran out onto the uncertain ice of an Alaska lake to escape officers armed with an arrest warrant.
Police spokeswoman Dani Myren says officers were sufficiently concerned about the thickness of the ice covering Cheney lake that none of them wanted to venture onto it. So a standoff ensued.
KTUU-TV reports that police negotiators and Fire Department dive teams were staging on the lakeshore when the young man finally surrendered late Thursday afternoon.
Myren says officers went to a home earlier in the afternoon to serve 19-year-old Siaosi Sila with a warrant alleging failure to comply with probation conditions. The spokeswoman says Sila saw police as he approached the home in a vehicle, bailed out and headed for the lake.
It wasn't immediately clear why he was on probation.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Body pulled from rubble of burned down home
- Shots fired during SW Houston restaurant robbery
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Save during spring break with freebies
- Comic book banned because it mentions Allah
- ESPN: Johnny Football signs multi-year deal
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Push-up jeans promise bigger booty
- Blind man survives fall onto subway tracks
- Recipes to make deep fried treats at home
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos