Alaska man runs onto frozen lake to avoid jail
ANCHORAGE, AK -- Anchorage police say a young man who didn't want to return to jail ran out onto the uncertain ice of an Alaska lake to escape officers armed with an arrest warrant.
Police spokeswoman Dani Myren says officers were sufficiently concerned about the thickness of the ice covering Cheney lake that none of them wanted to venture onto it. So a standoff ensued.
KTUU-TV reports that police negotiators and Fire Department dive teams were staging on the lakeshore when the young man finally surrendered late Thursday afternoon.
Myren says officers went to a home earlier in the afternoon to serve 19-year-old Siaosi Sila with a warrant alleging failure to comply with probation conditions. The spokeswoman says Sila saw police as he approached the home in a vehicle, bailed out and headed for the lake.
It wasn't immediately clear why he was on probation.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Smash and grab burglar targets tattoo parlor
- Captain of S. Korea ferry among first to escape
- TDCJ van carrying prisoners crashes near El Campo
- Armed robber was never told to report to prison
- Photos: Know any of Harris County's featured... 23 min ago
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- Police: Fight over woman ends in fatal stabbing
- Couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works?
- Chip in at Chipotle for Discovery Green
- Most insane job interview ever