Welcome to the 51st state of North Colorado?
GREELEY, CO -- North Colorado as the 51st state? It looks like voters in Weld County, Colorado, will be casting ballots this fall on whether to pursue seceding from the state.
The Greeley Tribune reports that Weld County commissioners have voted unanimously to put a 51st state initiative on the ballot.
Weld and other northeastern Colorado counties have expressed interest in seceding to become North Colorado. Weld, Logan, Sedgwick, Phillips, Washington and Kit Carson commissioners each set dates to vote on ballot initiatives for the 51st state. Yuma and Cheyenne counties have given the OK to have the initiative on the ballot this November. Morgan County commissioners are waiting on a citizen initiative.
A new state would have to be approved by the state Legislature and the U.S. Congress, making the secession votes mostly symbolic.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Parts of Astrodome demolished 13 min ago
- Smoke prompts IAH Terminal B evacuations
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband charged 10 min ago
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's powerful uncle
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic 28 min ago
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston
- 2013 College bowl schedule 27 min ago
- Salvation Army ringer sets 105-hour record
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- North Texans dealing with ice storm aftermath
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- Officials find 11 dead whales in Florida Keys