Oregon bartender gets $17,500 tip
SPRINGFIELD, OR -- An Oregon bartender just got the tip of a lifetime.
One of Aurora Kephart's regulars at Conway's Restaurant and Lounge in Springfield often tips her with Keno tickets from the Oregon Lottery. On Tuesday evening, the man who wishes to remain anonymous asked Kephart to choose two.
When she checked the numbers, Kephart's first ticket won $5. The second turned into a $17,500 gratuity.
"The look on his face was incredible," Kephart, 25, told The Register-Guard newspaper. "I automatically handed it back to him; it was his ticket."
But the man wouldn't take the ticket and made Kephart sign it so she would be the only one able to collect the prize.
Kephart said 80 percent of her customers are regulars, and they were excited for her.
"The reaction was crazy," Kephart said. "Everyone was so amped up."
With the bar busy, Kephart went right back to work, her brain "scrambled" by the big tip. The next day, she claimed her prize at the Oregon Lottery office in Salem.
Kephart said she gave the man a percentage of her winnings. "I just couldn't not give him some of it," she said.
Kephart said she plans to buy a new couch with her share and save the rest. Those modest plans earned her teasing from the bar's regulars, but she had been looking for a couch before going to work Tuesday and was scared off by the prices.
"I never realized how expensive couches were," she said. "Instead of waiting till Christmas or later, now I can buy something I really need."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind 44 min ago
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- New Houston light rail line opens for business 31 min ago
- Man barricades himself in house after allegedly killing wife
- 4 arrested on murder charges in NJ mall carjacking
- Ice pellets and snow frustrate holiday travel rush
- 'Topless' protest falls flat on Brazil beach
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Video: Wind damage in River Oaks area 49 min ago
- Wind damage in River Oaks area
49 min ago