44-year-old fetus found in Brazilian woman's stomach
An 84-year-old Brazilian woman went to the hospital with stomach pains, and doctors made an incredible discovery.
According to reports, the woman had a "stone baby" inside her, and it had been there for 44 years.
A stone baby, known by scientists as a lithopedion, is a rare phenomenon created when a fetus died during an abdominal pregnancy and is too large to be reabsorbed by the body. It calcifies on the outside.
The fetus the woman was carrying was reportedly between 20 and 28 weeks old when it died.
According to reports, the woman thought the baby had been aborted 44 years ago by a witch doctor. The baby stopped moving and growing, but it was still inside of her -- outside of her uterus.
The woman now reportedly refuses to have the stone baby removed, despite complications.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star 29 min ago
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers 47 min ago
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Amazing images from midair accident in Florida
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin