Sears to close 100 to 120 Kmart, Sears stores
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The tough economy is taking its toll on Sears and Kmart. More than 100 stores are set to be closed nationwide because of low sales. That means thousands of jobs will be lost.
Sears had a bad Christmas season and officials at the company say declining sales and rising costs are forcing them to close more than 100 Sears and Kmart stores. But long-time customers at a Houston Sears hope their store will be spared.
"I have been coming to Sears for over 50 years," said shopper Robert Maaskant. "They have a good follow-through, but at the same time I guess these folks have to do what they have to do to keep a viable business going."
Sears Holdings says the company's fourth quarter revenue fell more than five percent from a year ago, despite the Christmas season. While the company reports slow sales, customers of this downtown Houston sears have nothing but good things to say about the store.
"It is a pretty good store," said shopper Anthony Houston. "They carry name-brand stuff at a good price."
Customer Elizabeth Esquivel said, "Me and my mom just like stop by here to spend some time and we kind of like this Sears the best from all of them."
Charlene Sykes says this store gets plenty of her business.
"It is in the community and we are used to it being here and we just love coming to Sears," she said.
Sears has not said how many Houston stores might close and how many local employees may lose their jobs because of the closings.
Sears is not the only company closing locations. Richmond, Virginia-based Roomstore is also closing locations across the US. Twenty-five underperforming stores scheduled to be closed in 2012 as the company makes its way through chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.
your money, jeff ehling
- Case of swine flu confirmed in Montgomery County
- City slammed for deal with topless clubs
- Houston police gain powerful new weapon
- Man says found treasure should be his
- Family scrambles to safety from burning home
- Police: Man fatally shoots wife in southeast Houston 3 min ago
- Blood test could offer early answer for kids with austim
- Mystery of the missing mink
- Bicyclist hit by minivan near park
- Parents sue city of Houston over daughter's death
- Family of Houston girl hopes for life-saving donation
- Congress passes bill that will avoid future govt. shutdowns
- Sketch released of suspect in brazen robbery
- METRO offering new way to get around town
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
5 min ago