Macy's store in downtown Houston officially closes
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It was a historic night in downtown Houston. What was once the Foley's and then the Macy's is now no more.
Many of the shoppers there on Friday didn't go just to score a good bargain; they were also there to say goodbye to a place with fond memories.
The store opened in 1947. It officially closed at 6pm Saturday. And on Friday, there was plenty of talk about bargains and special times among shoppers.
The pace was practically dizzying. Merchandise was coming out, bargain hunters were going in, and in the middle of it all, longtime shoppers were appreciating the moment.
"I just wanted to have something, something from Macy's," shopper Olivia Aleman said.
The downtown Houston Macy's store is one of six stores closing, 66 years after it first opened as Foley's. Bill Lindstrom remembers those early years.
"I have memories about my mom and sisters coming here, spending an entire day on Saturday shopping in the 50s, coming home with a car full of bags because they'd been at Foley's all day," shopper he said.
Then Foley's was the main department store in Houston. On Friday, of course, there's plenty of competition.
And on Friday, with the prices slashed, the store was bare. Store fixtures, display cases and a small rack of clothes were all that was left.
People left with bargains and Lindstrom left with memories that will last a lifetime.
"It's just like sacred being in there. It's kinda like an old church to me. Very special," Lindstrom said.
Mayor Annise Parker has said the owner plans to demolish the building in order to build new commercial office space. ----------------------------
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
your money, jessica willey
- Reliant Stadium may be changing names
- Two dead in apparent murder-suicide in Pasadena
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant 5 min ago
- 2 NYC buildings collapse in explosion, 2 dead
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- River Oaks residents fighting to stop office building 20 min ago
- Rice U police officers cleared of wrongdoing in man's arrest
- Mateo states his case for cupcakes for dinner
- 'I'm dying' - Crocodile Hunter's final words
- Woman charged after allegedly kicking son in Walmart
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Woman takes out frustration on Pennsylvania reporter
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss
- NJ honor student who sued parents returns home