Nissan re-launches Datsun after 30 years in India
NEW DELHI -- Nissan launched a new Datsun in India on Monday, three decades after shelving the brand that helped win Western acceptance of Japanese autos.
The company hopes that bringing back the brand that built its U.S. business will fuel growth in emerging markets with a new generation of car buyers.
The reimagined Datsun -- a five-seat hatchback -- will go on sale in India next year for under 400,000 rupees (about $6,670). It will also be sold in Indonesia and Russia, with the company saying its offerings will be tailored to each market in terms of price and size.
In India, the English-language promotional website for the car describes it as the "badge of the risers," an appeal to aspirational first-time auto buyers.
"The drivetrain is designed specifically to suit the local environment, eliminating any stress or complexity for the risers to go forth," the website says.
Nissan Motor Co. is hoping the comeback of one of its defining brands will herald the same rapid expansion that the Datsun provided when it hit American showrooms more than 50 years ago.
The Datsun was discontinued globally starting in 1981 to unify the model lineup under the Nissan brand. Nissan also makes Infiniti luxury models.
Faced with stagnating sales in established markets such as Japan and Europe, most global automakers have their eyes on fast-growing developing countries that also include China, Mexico and Brazil.
India's population of 1.2 billion is a lure for automakers hoping to ring up big sales numbers, albeit with cheaper prices and lower profit margins.
But the Datsun enters the Indian market at a tough time. Sales of passenger cars fell by 10 percent in the April-June quarter from the previous year, according to the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers.
Indian consumer spending has been hit by an economic slowdown and high interest rates that make car loans less affordable.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices
- Man shot outside restaurant drives family to safety 56 min ago
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud 43 min ago
- Houston couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Constable: Teen admits shooting out car windows 27 min ago
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado school dies
- Chase restricts cards affected by Target breach
- New Houston light rail line opens for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Ice and snow frustrate US holiday travel rush
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1