Best lotions for the buck
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Sure, you can go to a spa and pamper yourself, but when it comes to keeping your skin moisturized on a daily basis, which drugstore lotion works best? We found the best for your buck.
Consumer Reports put more than a dozen lotions through a series of tests to find which moisturize the most. And if you think you have to spend a lot to get a quality moisturizer, you'll be happy to know that you don't have to.
At a spa, there are lots of treatments that pamper and moisturize skin. But can body lotions you buy at the drugstore do a good job? Consumer Reports ShopSmart Magazine checked out 14 moisturizing body lotions from names like Aveeno, Vaseline and Jergens, as well as store brands from CVS, Walmart, Walgreens, and Target.
"Our testers rounded up 26 women to see how well each of the lotions moisturized over the course of a day," said Jody Rohlena with Consumer Reports.
All the testing is done inside a humidity-controlled chamber. Testers used an instrument to measure the moisture level in each panelist's skin before applying the moisturizer then after applying the moisturizer at intervals of two hours, five hours and 24 hours.
Up & Up Extra Healing moisturizer from Target was the least moisturizing lotion.
Consumer Reports' sensory panelists also evaluated the feel of each lotion, as well as the aroma.
"Some smelled a bit like plastic. As far as skin feel, some were thin, others were a bit waxy," Rohlena said.
Some of the moisturizers were virtually aroma-free. Among them is the Cetaphil moisturizing lotion, which was also the most moisturizing lotion tested. It costs about $10.
As for Walmart's Equate that says it's comparable to Cetaphil, there's good news; Consumer Reports' tests show it moisturizes nearly as well and costs around $4 less.
Consumer Reports ShopSmart says another bargain lotion that performed well is Suave's Advanced Therapy moisturizer for severely dry skin. It only costs around $3, and it has a pleasant orange-blossom aroma.
action13, patricia lopez
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star 10 min ago
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW 46 min ago
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers 28 min ago
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Amazing images from midair accident in Florida
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin