No extra late hours at post office on tax day April 17, 2012
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- If you're still working on your federal taxes, you can meet that all important April 17th deadline with the help of the post office, but don't expect them to pull an all-nighter.
Texan Veterans Military Post Office at 7231 FM 1960 W in Humble will be the last to close at 10pm on tax night and will be the best bet for last-minute customers who need to purchase stamps or special services.
The Barbara Jordan Post Office at 401 Franklin in downtown Houston will close at 7pm on tax night and will be the next best choice. They also offer a self service kiosk for last-minute customers who need to purchase stamps or special services.
The Greater Houston area has 51 locations that offer Self Service Mailing Centers which can accommodate most mailing needs. Collection boxes (Blue Boxes) and Post Office lobby drops at all other Post Offices will be collected only at their regular posted times on April 17, 2012. Tax mail with correct postage deposited in those designated boxes and slots by stated cut off times will receive April 17 postmarks.
The IRS expects the total number of individual tax returns, both electronic and paper, to total about 141 million this year, and for e-file returns to exceed last year's record high of 100 million.
According to the IRS, 20 to 25 percent of all taxpayers file in the final two weeks of the tax season. Due to the declining numbers of citizens who submit hard-copy tax returns by mail, the Postal Service no longer provides curbside service to last minute filers at 401 Franklin collection boxes.
The Postal Service provides the following reminders regarding the mailing of tax returns:
- Mother killed in police chase remembered 25 min ago
- Mother of drowned girl uses her story to save lives 25 min ago
- Detectives: Road rage leads to fatal shooting 7 min ago
- Search ends for missing swimmer at San Luis Pass 6 min ago
- Girl critical after nearly drowning in Cleveland pond 39 min ago
- San Antonio flooding kills 2; 200-plus rescued
- UH police investigating on-campus robbery 21 min ago
- Protesters across globe rally against Monsanto
- HCSO sergeant killed in crash laid to rest
- Warmer weather on its way to Houston area
- Memorial Day weekend also no refusal weekend
- otrc: Mariah has wardrobe malfunction on GMA
- abcnews: Zookeeper dies from tiger attack
- raw video: Chinese dog skateboards, rides toy cars
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos