Best fast-food breakfast for your health, wallet
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- More and more fast-food restaurants are getting in on the breakfast game.But heads up for a health warning: some choices can load you up with a day's worth of fat and sodium, so it's not a healthy way to spend your money.
Consumer Reports just tested more than a hundred fast-food egg sandwiches to see if you can really "Start your morning off right." Does healthy taste good?
Breakfast on the go is easier than ever. But can you make healthy choices without sacrificing taste?
Consumer Reports graded the nutrition of 106 egg sandwiches sold by fast-food restaurants like Burger King, Dunkin' Donuts, McDonald's, Starbucks, and Subway.
"As far as nutrition goes, just six out of the 106 sandwiches rated very good," said Erin Grudeux with Consumer Reports.
What about taste? Consumer Reports-trained taste testers went undercover. They headed to at least three different locations of each chain, tasting some of the more nutritious sandwiches.
Of the seven sandwiches tasted, Starbucks Turkey Bacon & White Cheddar Classic Breakfast Sandwich was just so-so.
"I found the egg a little low flavor, and the bacon is salty and smoky. I'm not getting really any meat flavor," said taste tester Maxine Siegel.
Equally marginal is the Dunkin' Donuts egg white turkey sausage Wake-Up Wrap. Testers described it as teeny-tiny, with eggs that were not flavorful.
So which morning pit stop will get you a tasty, nutritious egg sandwich?
Subway! Its egg white and cheese on flatbread is the only sandwich Consumer Reports rated very good for taste. Testers found the egg whites flavorful and the toasted flatbread tender.
"It's worth noting that, with all the sandwiches, the quality varied from location to location," Grudeux said.
And Consumer Reports says don't let your egg sandwich sit for long because as the sandwich cools, so does the taste.
As far as price, the best-tasting sandwich from Subway costs $2.75.
The Dunkin' Donuts wrap is $3.49 and the Starbucks breakfast sandwich is $3.19.
Subway wins on taste and price.
action13, patricia lopez
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Foul weather threatens to snarl US holiday travel
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthough year'
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses 9 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Man tries to grab woman jogging on trail 33 min ago
- No charges for Harris Co. judge accused of falsifying records
- Elf on the Shelf stress hits some parents hard
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1 1 min ago
- Seatbelt couldn't save teen's life in crash
- Brightening the holiday for underprivileged kids
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach