Tax free weekend for energy saving appliances
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- If you are in the market for a new dishwasher or refrigerator, this is the weekend for you. The Memorial Day weekend brings with it a tax-free shopping on energy-efficient appliances.
This is the fourth Energy Star tax-free weekend in Texas, and it can help you save money on Energy Star-rated appliances because you don't pay sales tax. Also, there are extra sales in just about every store.
Looking for a new refrigerator? If you get one this weekend could save you hundreds of dollars if you buy an Energy Star-rated appliance. That's because you will not have to pay state sales tax and you can add that to extra discounts being offered during the Memorial Day weekend.
Chris Carpenter at Lowe's said, "Memorial Day weekend is one of the largest sales for retail establishments out there. Lowe's is offering 10 percent off on numerous items and we have dropped a lot of items down significantly."
The sale on Energy Star-rated appliances helps keep money in your pocket on day one, but the appliance itself saves you money during its lifetime.
"So you don't have to worry as much about spending tons of money over the appliance life," Carpenter explained.
The tax-free Energy Star sale starts Saturday and runs through Monday. Appliance sales people say there is already a demand for energy saving appliances and the tax-free weekend only helps boost sales.
Tanya Morris with Home Depot said, "I have heard from customers here lately that in a year's time they have seen the difference in their light bill, if there is a water bill."
You don't have to spend big money to get the Energy Star discount. CFL light bulbs and ceiling fans are also included on the tax-free list. If you'll need a new appliance in the coming weeks, you can get the tax-free break by purchasing this weekend but holding the delivery date until you are ready.
Washing machines do qualify for the tax-free weekend, but clothes dryers do not. See complete details on the state's website.
action13, jeff ehling
- Hwy 225 reopens following tanker accident
- Proposal to turn Astrodome into conference center 32 min ago
- Investigators want new probe of 1996 TWA crash
- Chrysler agrees to recall 2.7M older model Jeeps
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Tropical Storm Barry headed for Veracruz, Mexico
- Dickinson police asking for help to find missing man
- Don't they like the way he looks?
- Cypress teen Danielle Bradbery wins 'The Voice'
- Fed suggests it's closer to slowing bond purchases
- Texas tops US in number of lost, stolen firearms
- Feds: Men tried to make X-ray weapon
- otrc: John Mayer debuts new song
- abcnews: 6 ways to save money this month
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos