Where to buy used computers on the cheap
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The back-to-school season may have you shopping around for a new computer, but you may want to rethink that plan.
Buying a used computer from a reputable place can save you more than half the price. We are talking a used system that has been completely refurbished for a hundred bucks.
For 21 years, Directron has been known as the computer superstore. The warehouse is located in west Houston off Harwin. Most of its sales are made online and shipped all over the US, but they also have a walk-in retail store.
"The prices are very good here," said shopper Steve Cooper.
The store refurbishes computers and sells them online and in their store. We found this basic refurbished unit for $59. But if you are looking for a little more speed and memory, this computer has one gig of memory, an 80-gig hard drive and is priced at $99.
"It's our best seller," said "It also comes with an operating system and the operating system by itself with cost $139," said Marcos Reyes with Directron.
For $50 more, you can pick up a used monitor, keyboard and mouse. Total price of a complete system: $150.
When you are buying a used computer it's important to know the warranty policy. Most stores will offer a 90-day repair or exchange only if something is wrong with your computer.
For those who are looking for a laptop, refurbished ones sell quick. Right now at Directron, we found this 15-inch HP laptop regular price $299.99, on sale for $149.99.
"There is a 24 processor in there and it's a very good seller," said Reyes.
In southwest Houston, Goodwill of Houston Computer Works Store provides affordable computer hardware and software.
"They have a MAC, from a PC, and everything in between," said Jared Guise.
He is a computer whiz, and he always finds something for a fraction of the retail price. Other shoppers find bargains even on new equipment.
"I just came from Best Buy and this is 80 percent cheaper than that," said shopper Jesus Romeli.
"I check here first usually everything is about 20 to 25 percent cheaper," Guise said.
We found laptops that start at $129.99, computers for $99, printers for $29.99, wireless internet routers for $9.99 and monitors for as little as $19.99.
Keep in mind, products vary from day to day, so what you see in the store one day, may be gone the next. For instance, Goodwill of Houston Computer Works Store from time to time carry Apple products, but it's a limited number and they go quickly.
action13, patricia lopez
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Car slams into two homes in wild crash
- Brightening the holiday for underprivileged kids
- Seatbelt couldn't save teen's life in crash
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- SW Houston family loses puppy in overnight fire
- Boy, 10, dies after being trapped in snowbank
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Three Webster officers go before judge today