The Guild Shop marks 50 years
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It's called The Guild Shop, and for 50 years, it has been collecting charitable donations from Houstonians and reselling them at bargain prices. So on this anniversary, we go treasure hunting.
From vintage kitchen ware to high-end art and even jewelry, The Guild Shop has a little bit of everything.
"To me, it's a magical place," volunteer Elsa Felsen said.
She has been volunteering here for nearly 30 years.
"It's like a second home to me," Felsen said.
"We started in 1962. It was founded by the sewing group women at St. John's Divine Church. And one day they just decided that they wanted to have a little store where they can sell all their things," said Louise Symmes with The Guild Shop.
They first opened up in a small house in the Montrose area and later in 1973 settled into their current location right in the heart of Houston.
"We are here on the border of Montrose and River Oaks sort of, so we get kind of the more River Oaks, particularly members of our church bring things and that is in River Oaks," Symmes said. "So we really get a hodge podge of stuff which makes it really fun and you never know what you are going to get."
For example, there's a vintage phone from the 70's. You'll even find sterling silver and 14- and 18-karat gold.
"Items come in and we try to price them to sell, but sometimes it might be a little bit of a stretch," Symmes said.
The longer an item sits, the lower the price will go.
"The item is marked down every 30 days for 90 days and after that point it if it's not a high-end object or item we then give it away to charity," Symmes said.
The Guild Shop takes donated or consigned items. All the money they make goes towards serving the elderly.
"So when you donate things to us, then we have more money to give away so we really do appreciate donations," Symmes said.
Celebrating 50 years and looking forward to serving the community for many years to come.
"It's magical. I don't know why but it brings people back and back and back. And they like to buy here they like to come here," Felsen said.
To find out more on The Guild Shop hours, donations and consignment options, visit their website.
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston 7 min ago
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW 16 min ago
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses 34 min ago
- Are you too good looking to get a date? 46 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 57 min ago
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette' 59 min ago
- Travis Herzog's Tuesday weather forecast
51 min ago