Home sales continue to surge in Houston area with another strong month reported in September
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Home sales continue to surge in our area with another strong month reported in September. Some experts tell us one reason behind the improving job market is the improving financial condition of home buyers.
One reason home sales slowed to crawl was because buyers were having a hard time getting financed; that is starting to change and is boosting sales along the way.
It's happened again -- for the 16th straight month home sales are up in the Houston area. The Houston Association of Realtors (HAR) says right now inventories are down to just under five months and prices are up by around five percent.
"We are going in the right direction, absolutely. Houston's real estate market is really hot, and has been for almost 16 months straight and we are at 8 percent or better than this time last year," said Danny Frank, HA Chairman Elect.
Frank says the average price for a home in our area rose 4.7 percent to more than $220,000. The median price also went up more than 6 percent and is $165,000.
"On a listing that is priced right that is in a good area and not in need of a lot of repair, we are seeing bidding wars," Frank said.
One reason home sales are rising is that previously foreclosed upon homeowners are once again eligible for a home loan.
"You have clients, homeowners, that went through foreclosures in 2007, '08, and '09, and the cooling off period of FHA, VA, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac is now beginning to end for many of these families, so what you are seeing a lot of is these families reapply," said Steven Kaufman with Zeus Mortgage.
He says in many cases home buyers who could not get a loan in the past few years have worked to fix their credit issues and can now qualify for a mortgage.
"You are a lot of families rebounding much quicker than we expected and frankly they are all doing it at the same time, at least in Texas they are doing it at the same time," said Kaufman.
The new buyers are also finding low interest rates which can take the sting out of higher home prices.
Bottom line, if you are selling a home now is a good time. There is about five months of inventory on the market right now, which is considered low. The levels of available home has not been this low in our area since 2002.
action13, jeff ehling
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Most insane job interview ever
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- Jumbo jet to move through streets of Clear Lake
- Suspect: 'My girl is about to rob the store'
- Marriage fraud conspiracy lands 4 in prison
- Man held up on his way home from bank
- Reward to nab Most Wanted sex offender climbs to $13K
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos