Free Stuff Friday: Hitchcock movies and holiday lightings
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It's Free Stuff Friday and if you are looking for some free fun we have you covered.
This weekend and next week are jam packed with Christmas lighting ceremonies, but we begin with a festival celebrating a cinema great.
If you are a fan of Alfred Hitchcock, then head to the Hitchcock-Fest this Saturday at 2pm at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema off Mason Road in Katy. The Houston Film Critics Society celebrates the cinema master with two of his most famous movies. First on the schedule is 1954's "Rear Window" then the movie, "Psycho," followed by an advance screening of the movie, "Hitchcock." Seating is first come, first serve, so show up early for a great seat.
Kick off the holiday season at the 25th Annual Wortham Theater Center Tree Lighting ceremony next Wednesday, November 21 from 11am until 1pm. The Houston Ballet, the Houston Grand Opera and the city of Houston unite to celebrate in the grand foyer of Wortham Theater Center downtown. The highlight of the event will take place when Houston Ballet principal dancer, Amy Fote, will hang the sugar plum fairy lights on the theater's 25-foot Christmas tree. Other festivities include visits by characters from The Nutcracker and live holiday music by local bands and choirs. Enjoy delicious eats and drinks as well as the chance for children to have their picture taken with Santa Claus.
Save the date for next Friday, November 23 at 7:30pm for the city of Galveston's holiday lighting celebration. It's a free family event held at the historic Hotel Galvez. The event kicks off with the lighting of the hotel's 35-foot Christmas tree. There will be entertainment including performances of The Nutcracker, Christmas carols and bagpipes as well as a special visit by Santa Claus.
Here are several other tree lighting ceremonies in the Houston area:
- Old Town Spring will have their event Saturday evening.
- Also on Saturday, CityCentre in west Houston will host the district's annual snowflake lighting in the plaza at 7pm.
- In The Woodlands this Saturday it's the 30th Annual Lighting of the Doves Festival with festivities starting at 3pm.
- And last but not least, the 26th Annual Uptown Houston Holiday Lighting Celebration on Thanksgiving night with fireworks and lighting show starting at 7pm.
action13, patricia lopez
- ABC News: Oklahoma tornado death toll rises to 91 53 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Fight at bar ends in fatal shooting in NW Harris Co. 18 min ago
- Ex-teen sex slave devotes new life to helping others
- Houston Super Bowl committee making its pitch in Boston
- Two arrested for trespassing after found on roof of church 4 min ago
- Toby Keith says Oklahoma hometown is 'strong' 16 min ago
- 1 arrested, 3 others sought in Alief murders
- Photos: LEGO KidsFest in Houston
- otrc: 'Anchorman 2' teaser trailer released
- abcnews: Victoria's Secret rejects 'survivor' bra