Best kid friendly tablets in the market
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Computer tablets that are kid friendly and kid proof are among the hottest holiday gifts this year. So which are the best and worst ones?
Tablets are now being specifically marketed to kids, so we teamed up with Consumer Reports to reveal which ones make the grade.
"This year we're seeing tablets with real Android operating systems and features like Wi-Fi and expandable memory. These tablets are not just toys," said Carol Mangis with Consumer Reports.
The Consumer Reports evaluation focused on five kid friendly tablets ranging between $150 and $200.
Testers looked at features like display quality. All of them were difficult to view at an angle, which is a problem for kids who like to share.
Battery life was tested by using this machine, which continuously taps the screen to keep it awake until the batteries run down.
Then came the real test: A dozen kids were asked to play games, read books and create artwork on the tablets.
"These tablets all come loaded with child friendly games and learning activities. And not surprisingly, the kids liked the games the best," Mangis said.
For bookworms, the Meep! Tablet from Oregon Scientific had the clearest display screen. It was one of the most extensive tablets, along with the Kurio 7 and the Nabi 2.
Other tablets put to the test included the Arnova ChildPad and the Toys "R" Us Tabeo 7.
"Some tablets have Internet filters, which means kids can surf only to approved websites. And on some tablets, parents can limit their kid's time online," Mangis said.
action13, jeff ehling
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Williams in talks to reprise 'Mrs. Doubtfire' role
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care
- Teen accused of threatening attack on Splendora HS
- Police: Man ate pot candy before shooting his wife
- Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant 59 min ago
- Student caught with gun on campus
- Man shimmies through burglar bars at tattoo parlor
- Photos: Know any of Harris Co.'s featured fugitives?
- Dangerous sex offenders' moving into Houston area?