New initiative offers half price tickets to arts events
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Whether it's the theater, a concert or comedy show, it can be pricy to attend a live event. But the Houston Arts Alliance is now making it affordable, with half price tickets for shows that normally never go on sale. The idea is to expose more people to the arts, while making it budget friendly.
Grupo Corpo is one of the leading names in Brazilian contemporary dance and early next year the group is bringing its 22 member team to the Wortham Theater. Tickets are normally priced from $35 to $55 dollars, but at ArtsHound.com, you can get tickets now for just $10.
Comedic legend Lily Tomlin will be live in concert at Houston's Jones Hall for the Performing Arts in February. Tickets are normally $50 to $70 each, but you can get them online for half price, starting at $25.
Marie Jacinto with the Houston Arts Alliance says ArtsHound.com is an event listing website with more than 100 subscribers, from big venues like Jones Hall and the Alley Theater to smaller community theaters in and around the Houston area, like Country Playhouse.
"Through this partnership with Goldstar, which is the website provider of half price live entertainment tickets, you can get your tickets 50 percent off on ArtsHound," Jacinto said.
She says it's a win-win for both consumers and the venues.
"What is beautiful about the venues around town is when the curtain goes up, if the tickets aren't sold to the seats, they are zero benefit to the arts organizations. So now we are hoping for revenue," Jacinto said.
Over at the Country Playhouse in west Houston...
"Advertising is the most expensive thing we have to do," said playhouse spokesperson Jim Salners.
The organization hopes ArtsHound's new partnership with Goldstar tickets will get the word out about their small community theater events.
Salners said, "It works both ways. It's good for the audience and it's good for us to get people in the seats."
Through ArtsHound.com, tickets for A Christmas Carol at the Country Playhouse are $11 -- half the regular price.
Depending on the show, some tickets will be released months in advance at half price while others might be just a week or two out.
action13, patricia lopez
- Two women found dead in Galveston County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale