Make money using your social media accounts
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Businesses sometimes pay bloggers to give good reviews. But with the rise of social media sites, like Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest, the concept of paid promotion is taking things to a whole new level.
Amy Polletro's found a way to use her talent to make a little money. All she has to do is post pictures of clothes she finds on beso.com to her social media accounts, like Facebook and Pinterest.
"As you share your finds and your friends and followers click, you share in our monetization engines. You make money," said Elise Loehnen with beso.com.
Beso is just one of a booming number of businesses compensating people for promoting products. While companies used to count on thousands of bloggers to post reviews or share links that earn them commission, now anyone who is social media savvy can sign up and cash in.
"It's critical that the readers understand that they're being paid," said Mary Engle with the Federal Trade Commission.
The FTC already has guidelines in place. Bottom line: Any paid post must clearly be identified. On social media, that typically means using a hashtag, a number sign, followed by words such as "paid," "ad" or "spon" for "sponsor."
"When you set up the links, you don't have to let your friends know that you're getting paid for it. I'm just an average person; I'm not a super blogger, I'm not a celebrity," beso.com rewards member Amy Polletro said.
The FTC says actually, you do -- no matter who you are.
"If you're being paid or compensated in some way to endorse or recommend a product -- no matter where that is, no matter what the medium, what kind of site it is -- there needs to be a disclosure," Engle said.
action13, jeff ehling
- HFD vehicle involved in deadly accident
- ABC13 gets exclusive tour of home after drug bust
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Arrested partiers claim Galveston police went too far
- Neighbors forced to pull up community garden
- HPD officer involved in northeast Houston crash
- Fire engulfs northeast Houston home
- Police: Woman tried to abduct boy walking to school 16 min ago
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Obama imposes sanctions over Ukraine crisis
- Man to be tried as adult for deadly childhood attack
- Two arrested in deadly hit-and-run on FM 1960
- Woman asleep in Bieber's rented home arrested
- Woman's mummified body found at Detroit-area home