Ring in the new year with free celebrations
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It's Free Stuff Friday and if the kids are already bored, we have a couple of freebies geared just for them.
We also tracked down some family friendly events for the new year. But we begin in Galveston for a new free event and you have just a few days to check it out. Capture the magic of the season in Galveston for the Lasers, Lights & Magic show at Saengerfest Park. The event takes place each nigh now until December 31st. Twinkle lights synchronized to music will decorate the park before 15-minute holiday-themed laser shows take place each night at 6, 7 and 8pm.
Are the kids already bored while on Christmas break? Then take them over to the Alamo Drafthouse theater in Katy for a free screening of E.T. The free event is at 10am Monday and open to all ages. Seating is first come, first served.
Ring in the new year with New Year's Eve Houston Monday night at 7pm at Discovery Green. Put on your boogie shoes and celebrate with Grammy Award winner KC and the Sunshine Band. The night is jam packed with free family friendly events that include the kids soul train and family disco, games and the illuminated art car parade. There will be two New Year's Eve countdowns, one at 9pm for families with small children, and a second at midnight with a fireworks finale. If you can't make the big New Year's Eve Houston party, you can catch the celebration live starting at 11pm right here on ABC13.
In Sugar Land, join thousands of party goers as they ring in the new year at the city of Sugar Land's New Year's Eve on the Square presented by OneMain Financial. Children and their families are welcome to celebrate from 7-9pm complete with a fireworks finale. Then from 9:30pm to 1am, it's the adults' celebration that includes a 3D midnight sugar cube show.
After all that partying, head out to the Houston Zoo on Tuesday. It's free admission from 2pm until close. The zoo offers this freebie the first Tuesday of every month now until May. Keep in mind, the free afternoon applies to regular zoo admission and does not include zoo lights.
action13, patricia lopez
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home
- Cigarette blamed for Taco Bell fire in Katy
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Robber dashes out of vision store with pricy shades
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- Residents on edge after Montgomery Co. flu deaths
- Chevron puts downtown Houston building plans on hold
- Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson off the show after gay remark
- East Texas company making healthcare affordable
- Video: Lovie Smith interviews with Texans
- Video: JJ Watt now a superhero
- Investigators: Driver drank cologne to hide alcohol smell
- Dozens of people injured in London theater collapse
- Jury reaches verdict in disputed Farrah Fawcett portrait
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos