Ring in the new year with free celebrations
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It's Free Stuff Friday and if the kids are already bored, we have a couple of freebies geared just for them.
We also tracked down some family friendly events for the new year. But we begin in Galveston for a new free event and you have just a few days to check it out. Capture the magic of the season in Galveston for the Lasers, Lights & Magic show at Saengerfest Park. The event takes place each nigh now until December 31st. Twinkle lights synchronized to music will decorate the park before 15-minute holiday-themed laser shows take place each night at 6, 7 and 8pm.
Are the kids already bored while on Christmas break? Then take them over to the Alamo Drafthouse theater in Katy for a free screening of E.T. The free event is at 10am Monday and open to all ages. Seating is first come, first served.
Ring in the new year with New Year's Eve Houston Monday night at 7pm at Discovery Green. Put on your boogie shoes and celebrate with Grammy Award winner KC and the Sunshine Band. The night is jam packed with free family friendly events that include the kids soul train and family disco, games and the illuminated art car parade. There will be two New Year's Eve countdowns, one at 9pm for families with small children, and a second at midnight with a fireworks finale. If you can't make the big New Year's Eve Houston party, you can catch the celebration live starting at 11pm right here on ABC13.
In Sugar Land, join thousands of party goers as they ring in the new year at the city of Sugar Land's New Year's Eve on the Square presented by OneMain Financial. Children and their families are welcome to celebrate from 7-9pm complete with a fireworks finale. Then from 9:30pm to 1am, it's the adults' celebration that includes a 3D midnight sugar cube show.
After all that partying, head out to the Houston Zoo on Tuesday. It's free admission from 2pm until close. The zoo offers this freebie the first Tuesday of every month now until May. Keep in mind, the free afternoon applies to regular zoo admission and does not include zoo lights.
action13, patricia lopez
- ABC News: Oklahoma tornado death toll rises to 91 1 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Fight at bar ends in fatal shooting in NW Harris Co. 2 min ago
- Ex-teen sex slave devotes new life to helping others
- Houston Super Bowl committee making its pitch in Boston
- Two arrested for trespassing after found on roof of church 22 min ago
- Toby Keith says Oklahoma hometown is 'strong' 34 min ago
- 1 arrested, 3 others sought in Alief murders
- Photos: LEGO KidsFest in Houston
- otrc: 'Anchorman 2' teaser trailer released
- abcnews: Victoria's Secret rejects 'survivor' bra