Federal agency to change mortgage qualification requirements
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A change in the rules for home mortgages may soon impact our housing market and your ability to buy a home.
Before the housing bubble burst you could get a home loan without having to prove your income, but those days are official over.
In an effort to keep people from getting loans they can not afford, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has just announced what's required to get a qualified mortgage.
Borrowers will have to prove their income, prove they have enough assets to pay back the loan and detail their debt obligations.
As hard as it is to believe, that was not required before the housing bubble burst.
"I know secretly that everyone in the mortgage industry is cheering," Zeus Mortgage's Steven Kaufman said.
Cheering, according to Kaufman, because the rules will help keep unscrupulous lenders from taking advantage of first-time buyers.
But the new rules also require a debt to income ratio of 43 percent.
If a buyer uses more than 43 percent of their income on debt, they will not be eligible to get a loan from Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac.
Houston Realtor Betty Bezemer says the new rules will not slow down the area's booming real estate market.
"We have such a diverse source of income here, and as a result of that, jobs. And jobs grow houses," he said.
The rules are being phased in this month but go into effect next year. However, many banks are already requiring borrowers meet the new requirements.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
action13, jeff ehling
- Smash and grab burglar targets tattoo parlor 31 min ago
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe 23 min ago
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Couple dead in apparent murder-suicide 30 min ago
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested 13 min ago
- Chip in at Chipotle for Discovery Green 46 min ago
- Most insane job interview ever
- No sew: Create Easter tutus on the cheap 30 min ago
- Firetruck plows into LA-area cafe; 15 hurt 9 min ago
- Robber who was homesick for prison to be sentenced
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church