Carpet company's bankruptcy leaves customers in limbo
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It's a story we hear too often. You pay up front to have work done in your home, but then no one shows up to do the project. It's a situation several people across the Houston area are dealing with right now.
Jack's Carpet has been doing business in the Houston area since 1994. But recently the company has been affected by financial issues. Now customers are saying the company is just trying to sweep problems under the carpet.
"We were looking to have our entire home carpeted," homeowner Ken Delaney said.
When Delaney decided to replace the flooring in his home, he went to Jack's Carpet.
"We paid everything up front," Delaney said.
Delaney wrote a check to Jack's Carpet for nearly $6,500 in October.
"They were supposed to install it the first week of November," Delaney said.
But November came and went and no carpet was installed. In December, Delaney received a call stating...
"Jack's has declared bankruptcy. You'll have to sort it out with bankruptcy court," Delany said.
Delaney wasn't the only customer affected.
"Hoped it would have been done by Christmas. What a great thing that would have been," said Ralph Holm with the First Methodist Church of Texas City.
Holm placed an order with Jack's Carpet for a new entryway.
"We've had somebody that was a member of this church that made a donation through the memorials committee to replace that tile," Holm said. "We're out about $1,200 that we had to put up."
So we placed a few calls into Jack's Carpet. They did not want to appear on camera, but gave us this statement:
"Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have made arraignments with Mr. Delaney to have his carpet installed within the next seven days. We have also made arrangements with Mr. Holm for a full refund. We are hoping to have the bankruptcy paperwork filed by this Friday. The court will be in touch with those affected. Jack's Carpet is trying to make good on all obligations."
During the course of our story, more viewers contacted us with similar issues regarding Jack's Carpet. We reach out to the Jack's about those accounts, and they agreed to take care of those additional customers in a timely fashion.
For full disclosure, KTRK has a business relationship with Jack's Carpet, but it had no bearing on the reporting of this story.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
action13, jeff ehling
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side 39 min ago
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW 4 min ago
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire 27 min ago
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident
- LA unanimously bans vaping in public places
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Man dancing on power pole in lifted to...
- Boy buried by avalanche tried to bite his way out