Smart phone apps availabe to connect parents, kids during emergencies
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- When schools shooting happen, one of the biggest problems is finding out if your child is safe. Technology may be able to help.
The apps you do more than connect you with your child; they pinpoint your kids' location and help them get the word out that they are safe, or in harm's way.
The first is Guardly. This app will show your child's location after the student sends out an alert from the phone. The student can also see which of their friends and family are close by to them. This app is free with to download, but does have a monthly fee.
Up next is My Force. When triggered, the app sends out an alarm to a monitoring service and starts recording what is happening around you. It also show your exact location. This app also has a monthly subscription fee.
Then check out Circle of 6. The free app preselect up to 6 phone numbers, then if trouble happens, the user can send a message to each of those phone at one time. This app will also send your gps location along with that alert message.
And finally there's OnWatch, which you can use to contact 911 and family members at the same time. You can also use the app to send the message that you are home safe. It is free.
The apps could have helped parents keep kids connected.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
action13, jeff ehling
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into barber shop
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course