Consumer Reports tests comfort of mattresses
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- We all love a good night's sleep, and a good mattress can help. But a new survey by Consumer Reports found about one-in-five people wished they'd bought a different mattress.
A mattress can be one of the hardest things to buy. So Consumer Reports tested a dozen queen-size foam and innerspring mattresses, ranging in price from less than $500 to nearly $2,000.
"Body support is our most important test. We map the natural curve of the spine for a range of people," Consumer Reports' Chris Regan said.
Then testers record how well each mattress maintains that curve when sleeping on your back. Testers also check how well your body is supported when sleeping on your side.
In another test, an increasing amount of weight is applied to the mattress to check for firmness. Many of the mattresses tested aren't as firm as they claim.
And another test checks for durability by rolling a heavy weight over each mattress 30,000 times.
Consumer Reports also cut open the mattresses to inspect the construction. It turns out you don't have to spend a fortune to get a good mattress.
"Higher-priced frills, like additional coils or fancier fabrics, really don't guarantee a better mattressm," Regan said.
Consumer Reports named the following three queen-size mattresses that cost under a $1,000 "Best Buys:"
For innersprings, the pick went to Simmons Glover Park from Sears for $780, and a Serta Perfect Sleeper Elite from Macy's for $835.
For foam mattresses, the Novaform Serafina from Costco. It comes in this box. You just roll it out, and it's ready for you to get a good night's sleep. The cost is $900.
Consumer Reports says its ratings are a place to start, but it's best to try out a mattress in the store. If you can't do that, check the return policy carefully and make sure there are no restocking fees. While you can't try out the Costco mattress, you can return it for free if you don't like it, and there is no charge for pickup.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
action13, jeff ehling
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home