Buying a used car? Report lists prominent issues in some models
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- If you ever bought a used car that had unknown problems, this next story is for you. It's also for those thinking about buying a used car.
Consumer Reports not only tests cars, it asks nearly a million of its subscribers every year how well their cars are holding up. Used-car shoppers, listen up! Some very popular vehicles have run into problems.
Consumer Reports engineers find the new BMW 3 series is great to drive, but its surveys show some older models aren't aging well.
For example, the BMW 335i, from 2007 through 2010, tends to have fuel pump and fuel injection troubles. And there are other popular used cars that can wind up in the shop.
Consumer Reports' reliability information on nearly 250 models identifies the most likely problems.
"Car problems don't happen randomly. From the millions of car problems our subscribers report each year, we identify key trouble areas," said Jon Linkov with Consumer Reports.
For instance, the Ford Focus -- model years 2003 through 2006 -- shows problems with the alternator, ignition switch, and battery.
And owners of Dodge Grand Caravans from 2003 through 2006 complain about the power steering, tie rods, water pump and air conditioning.
"Even Toyota and Honda, which tend to be the more reliable, have model years that are trouble-prone," Linkov said.
The V6 Honda Accords from 2003 and 2004 have a high rate of transmission failure. And many Accords from 2008 through 2010 experience brake problems.
And the four-cylinder Toyota Camry from 2008 suffers excessive brake wear.
"Of the 17 trouble spots we look at, brakes are the biggest problem with used cars beyond normal wear and tear. Brakes are definitely something you should check carefully before you buy," Linkov said.
And whatever used car you're considering, Consumer Reports says always get it checked by an independent mechanic.
Consumer Reports identifies the best used cars for the price. For under $10,000, good choices are the 2009 Pontiac Vibe, the 2008 four-cylinder Hyundai Sonata, and the 2004 Acura TSX and Toyota RAV4.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
action13, jeff ehling
- Smash and grab burglar targets tattoo parlor 3 min ago
- Teen reunites with family after found safe
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Couple dead in apparent murder-suicide 2 min ago
- Chip in at Chipotle for Discovery Green 18 min ago
- Most insane job interview ever
- No sew: Create Easter tutus on the cheap 2 min ago
- Firetruck plows into LA-area cafe; 15 hurt
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced
- German Shepherd called to jury duty in New Jersey
- Travis Herzog's Thursday weather forecast
46 min ago