Tax refund delays possible for filers who used higher education-credit forms
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A problem with some tax software that may impact your ability to get the refund you deserve.
If you have already filed for your refund you probably can use that money as soon as possible, but hundreds of thousands of early filers are learning a glitch is putting that money on hold.
Like a lot of tax payers, Wesley Henderson pays some years and gets a refund other times.
"It depends on how much I make a year," Henderson said.
While Henderson has yet to file for his expected refund, more than 6 million Americans have already done so. Now many of them are finding out they will not get their money anytime soon.
"What's happening now is possibly up to 600,000 tax returns that had this form in it that went to the IRS are now bouncing back," Houston CPA Bob Martin said.
Martin says the problem form is 8863. It is the one used for higher education credits. Late changes in the tax code are responsible for the refund delay.
"Because of late legislation, this year that affected 2012, there were some programming problems and apparently not all the software vendors caught them in time," Martin said.
H&R Block is just one of the companies whose clients are seeing delays.
In a statement H&R Block told us:
"We are communicating directly with our impacted clients to assure them that we are doing everything we can to expedite their returns. The IRS has informed us and other impacted providers that they are currently processing these returns."
But the IRS review could delay refunds for several more weeks.
"The very people who need these credits are the people in lower income brackets who get these credits and if the refund is delayed it could end up costing them credit card interest and they may end up borrowing from family or friends," Martin said.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
action13, jeff ehling
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston 8 min ago
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 11 min ago
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette' 13 min ago
- Parents distracted by devices, study says 55 min ago
- Colorado collects $2 million in recreational pot taxes 14 min ago
- Car fire breaks out at high-rise parking lot
- Travis Herzog's Tuesday weather forecast
5 min ago
- Information on price tags decoded
29 min ago