Voice recognition software tested for accuracy
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The Siri voice recognition technology by Apple ushered in a whole new era and now downloadable apps are trying to get in on the conversation. But how do those apps stack up? Consumer Reports compared them to find out.
Tyler Carfi loves Siri, Apple's much-acclaimed voice-recognition feature.
"I can just ask Siri where's the nearest coffee shop. It's really convenient," Carfi said.
Consumer Reports' Mike Gikas says two top examples of voice-recognition apps are Robin and Speak-To-It. You can download them onto your phone for free.
"Speak-To-It is available on several platforms, including iPhone, whereas Robin is exclusively for the Android platform," Gikas said.
Both apps do well with some requests, like finding directions, but both struggle with other questions, such as simple math problems. Siri, on the other hand, has no problem with similar requests.
Bottom line? Siri remains the voice recognition stand-out.
"Siri is hardwired into your iPhone. It has access to much more of your personal information. And that's an edge that none of the other apps can really compete with yet," Gikas said.
If you don't have an iPhone with Siri, Consumer Reports says downloading a free app gives you at least some voice-recognition capability. Speak-To-It seems to be one of the best so far. It works on both the iPhone and Androids.
apple, action13, jeff ehling
- Officer-involved shooting under investigation 1 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in elderly woman assault
- Smash-and-grab suspects lead police on chase
- Photos: 7 big brands that are struggling
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Dead body found in pickup in Richmond 4 min ago
- Third person dies following SXSW accident 1 min ago
- Armed suspect shot, killed by officer in Baytown 11 min ago
- Video: Why ABC-13 anchors don't wear green on St....
- Mobile home fire claims life of one person in NE Houston
- Study to test 'chocolate' pills for heart health
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles
- Malaysia: Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last word
- Indianapolis Colts owner arrested for DWI
- Travis Herzog's midday weather forecast
7 min ago