Consumer Reports puts digital wallet apps to the test
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Your smart phone keeps you connected, and more people are using them to pay for things. And there are many apps that give you payment options, but just how useful are those digital wallets?
Maryssa Menkin is paying for her salad using Square Wallet's free application. The digital wallet app links to her credit card, which she finds very convenient.
"I hate carrying a lot of things and you know, I find that I do always have my phone on me. So it's just very simple," Menkin said.
Starbucks is one of the hundreds of thousands of businesses nationwide that have signed up for Square Wallet.
Square is compatible with a number of iPhone and Android models, and Consumer Reports Money Adviser Amanda Walker says it's pretty easy to use. But other digital wallets are not as widely accessible.
"For instance, Google Wallet and Isis aren't available on iPhones and only work with some service providers. They also require a wireless technology that only some stores can use," Walker said.
And some digital wallet apps will only link with a few credit cards, so you may need to link to a prepaid card, which can incur additional fees. That may also mean you don't have the best protections if you lose your phone or someone breaks into your account.
"Prepaid cards, whether in your hand or on your phone, have no guaranteed protections against unauthorized transactions, so you could lose whatever balance is on the card," Walker said.
Still if, like Menkin, you like leaving your bulky wallet at home, Consumer Reports says use an app like Square that links to a credit card for the best consumer protections.
action13, jeff ehling
- HPD officer responding to call involved in wreck
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- College students paid to take a year off?
- HoustonRodeo 'Moves like Jagger'
- Lights go out at Jones Hall, but concert-goers have a blast
- Tooth Fairy 45% more generous in 2013
- Man hit, killed while trying to cross East Freeway
- Free Stuff Friday!
- Will Pearland mom be named most 'unstoppable' today?
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Photos: Jet's landing gear collapses in Philadelphia
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale