Consumer Reports lists best, worst airlines
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- With Memorial Day this weekend, we are now officially in peak travel season. To help you navigate, we're revealing the best and worst airlines.
More than 16,000 travelers weighed in on their flights 30,000 feet in the air. And the list of complaints is long. From Southwest to Spirit, did your airline make the grade?
What used to be free now comes at a cost, and travelers are speaking out. Fees for checked baggage and limited leg room are among the many complaints travelers expressed in Consumer Reports' airlines ratings survey.
"A full third of survey respondents complained about crowded flights. And a quarter complained about cramped seats," Consumer Reports' Karen Jaffe said.
Spirit Airlines came in last, hitting rock bottom on all of the customer benchmarks, including seating comfort, cabin staff service, cleanliness and baggage handling.
"For price, I hear they are quite good, but it is the unknown that people are concerned about -- the fees," said Mike Weingart with Air, Land, Sea Consultants.
To spare surprises, look online at your carrier's list of fees before booking your flight.
As far as United Airlines, U.S. Airways and American, they did slightly better overall, but received low scores for cleanliness and leg room.
Southwest scored high in customer satisfaction, as did JetBlue. Both fly out of Hobby and charge relatively fewer fees.
"There are ways to save money on those fees. The simplest to me is figure out your favorite airline is and look into their credit card," Weingart said.
If you're looking to save even more money, consider flying on Tuesday, experts say it the best day of the week for finding lower fares.
Southwest did rate high on the list. But the overall winner was Virgin America, which does not fly in or out of Houston. However, it does start service out of Austin soon.
action13, jeff ehling
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home