Apple unveils plans for new look, operating system for iPhones
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- There was a announcement Monday from Apple that some people say was long overdue. The company is updating its operating systems and changing the looks of their iconic phones.
The changes to the iPhone and Apple's operating system are the first major overhauls since 2007, and in that time, competitors have been taking away consumers in droves.
Last month, the Galaxy S-4 was the best-selling phone for three of the top four cell phone carriers, according to a survey by U.S. Canaccord Genuity.
Sami Meswari switched away from Apple months ago and is not surprised by the Galaxy S-4's popularity.
"I think for me, personal, Apple just kind of got boring with their operating system," Meswari said.
Meswari is exactly who Apple is targeting with its upgraded operating system. The new Apple devices even seem to mimic Samsung.
"I am a little surprised because I thought was their old bread and butter, that they went with the same thing," he said.
A new look is just part of the equation for Apple.
"I think the biggest thing is the software. It is the first redesign that has been really dramatic since they first introduced the iPhone back in 2007," said Hesam Panahi, who teaches entrepenuership and management information systems at the University of Houston Bauer College of Business.
Panahi says Apple is also adding a Pandora-type radio feature and an anti-theft feature to its devices. But the real goal of Apple and other tech companies is to have one brand dominate a consumers life.
"One of the things that is happening now is you are making a conscious decision with every purchase you are making, whether or not you want to be part of Apple's ecosystem of Google's ecosystem or Microsoft's ecosystem and these different features they came out with sort of play on that," Panahi said.
Something else that may be on the way, Apple is said to be considering an in store trade in program when iPhones hit the street, but the company has yet to announce details of that program.
action13, jeff ehling
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Liberty Co. judge, wife injured in head-on wreck
- 4 killed, 3 injured in wreck involving taxi in Pasadena
- Dogs dies in northeast Houston house fire
- Landslide devouring Wyoming town
- TSU band heading to Canton with Michael Strahan
- More bodies recovered from sunken ferry
- Looks like perfect Easter Egg hunting weather
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- Special Olympian gets assist from Rice students
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center
- Hope this doesn't make you sick
- Authorities searching for sex assault fugitive