New NFL bag rules take effect at Reliant Stadium for Texans' first preseason home game
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Texans fans brought all of their support to Saturday night's first home preseason game at Reliant Stadium, but there was something they had to leave behind: their standard purses and bags.
Officials outside the stadium were handing out free baggies to every vehicle that comply with the NFL's new rules on bags. Those coming to Reliant by light rail also got bags.
Most fans got inside the stadium without much problem, but some found themselves turned away because they did not know about the clear bag policy or because their bag was too big.
By the time the stadium opened at 5:30pm, most fans had heard about the NFL clear bag policy, but not Emily Forester.
"I can't bring my purse in," she said.
"Did you know about the new rule?" we asked.
"No I didn't," Forester said.
"What are you going to do with the bag you brought with you?" we asked her.
"Walk all the way back to my car," she said.
Tina Bentsen had a clear bag but had to empty the contents in front of security guards anyway.
"The backpack was too big, yet I got it from the NFL," Bentsen said.
Inside the stadium, we found Leticia Zarzoza with a small clutch, but her first choice broke the NFL bag rules.
"I had to go back to the car. I had a clutch -- a Coach clutch -- and she did, too, but we had to go back," Zarzoza said. "It was too big."
Fina Rodriguez is getting by with her approved clear clutch, but she doesn't like it.
"I bought T-shirts and could not put it in this, and I did not have a big enough purse to put it in and I had to stuff it into my man's pocket," she said.
Yolanda Gutierrez managed to get everything she needed into her clutch, but says it won't be large enough for some fans.
"Of course, if you have children, it is going to be different. You will need more," Gutierrez said. "But I tailgated two hours before the game and I was fine with this."
If you do not want the clear bag, remember that a wristlet or cross-body bag is OK, but it cannot be larger than 4 1/2 inches by 6 1/2 inches. If the bag is bigger, it cannot be brought into the stadium.
action13, jeff ehling
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Sketch released in murder of women found dumped 51 min ago
- Murder suspect vomits during graphic testimony
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student
- Police: Drunk man demanded bed to sleep 43 min ago
- Woman found living with dead spouse for month 40 min ago
- Two sent to hospital after gas leak at HISD middle school
- 'We are burying a body,' suspects tell police
- Suspect in violent House of Pies robbery charged
- Sandy Hook shooter's dad wishes son was never born
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin 59 min ago