How to get the best deal on phone buybacks
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A new iPhone is on its way. On September 10, Apple is expected to announce its latest version of the iconic smart phone. The company is also planning something else: a phone buyback program.
Apple has not given any indication of how lucrative the buyback program will be for consumers; however, they are late to the party on this one.
When Terrance Woodard got his new Galaxy S3, he traded the old one for cash.
"It went pretty good... 99 bucks," he said.
Phone buybacks are everywhere, and shopping around is the key to getting the best deal.
At Target, my iPhone 5 in mint condition is worth $300 in store credit. That's the same amount of in-store credit Radio Shack was willing to offer.
"There is value in all old electronics, so an iPhone 3, iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S, they are still going to see a lot of value there," Dave Brod at Radio Shack said. "Obviously, newer technology will have even more value."
At Best Buy, our pristine iPhone 5 fetches $330 in store credit.
"If you were eligible for an upgrade today, with the new devices usually cost around 100 to 200 dollars, you could walk away with an extra 100 to 150 bucks in your pocket," Mitchell Slayden at Best Buy said.
To clarify, Best Buy offers store credit -- not cash -- and be warned: scratches and a broken screens cut the costs dramatically.
If you are looking for cash, the internet offers a couple of choices. eBay lists the phone for more than $400, while Gadget Trade in Site Gazelle is offering $315 or store credit at Target.
Remember, the key to the best resale value is pristine condition. Any cracks and you can expect to lose $200 in value.
We'll find out next week how the Apple buyback program stacks up to the others.
action13, jeff ehling
- Shots fired during armored car robbery 7 min ago
- Sketch released in murder of women found dumped 2 min ago
- Murder suspect vomits during graphic testimony
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student 29 min ago
- No outings for Clear Lake drowning mom
- Two sent to hospital after gas leak at HISD middle school 10 min ago
- Suspect in violent House of Pies robbery charged 37 min ago
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer
- McDonald's game plan to win back customers
- Sandy Hook shooter's dad wishes son was never born