Banking history could keep you from opening account
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- You've heard of credit reporting agencies, but did you know there are companies tracking your banking history and any money mistakes you make? So how could this affect you and the bank you choose to do business with?
This is how Natasha Carmon pays her bills. She drives to each business, goes inside and settles up with cash, or purchases a money order.
"It's definitely frustrating," Carmon said.
Frustrating because she'd rather pay by check, but she can't.
"They all denied me and they all said that it's because you owe this bank X amount of dollars," Carmon said.
She says four years ago, she got hit with a bank fee, and when she couldn't pay, the charges piled up and her account was closed.
"The fees just got so extreme that I couldn't keep that up," Carmon said.
"It's a good indication of whether the person can manage the account and what risk they present of causing the bank to lose money," said Nessa Feddis with the American Bankers Association.
This FDIC survey reveals 65 percent of banks deny checking account applicants who have prior mismanagement in their consumer reports.
"A consumer who bounced a check once is not a deadbeat. A consumer who bounced a check once may not even have made a conscious mistake," said Ed Mierzwinski with U.S. PIRG.
Federal law says you can request a free banking history report each year and dispute any inaccuracies.
As for Carmon, she says she's going to have to keep hitting the road to pay her bills, at least for now.
The American Bankers Association says if you have an overdraft fee and you take care of it, chances are you're not going to be reported to anyone. But if you don't take care of it, problems can arise.
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau regulates these reporting practices.
action13, jeff ehling
- Couple accusing neighbor of recording their bedroom 28 min ago
- Bicyclist dies after Montrose-area hit-and-run 29 min ago
- Dr. accused of harassing woman she calls 'whore' 44 min ago
- Your pocket change may be worth hundreds 26 min ago
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 Thursday night
- Man, woman found shot at Pearland-area home
- Company offering big reward for return of stolen truck 48 min ago
- Police searching for armed robbery suspect 47 min ago
- Bledsoe leads Suns to 97-88 win over Rockets
- Dad on trial for infant's beating death
- Woman falls through roof, rescued by firefighters
- Man finds his brother murdered in home
- Child killed by falling tree branch
- HPD: Cop impersonator shot man during struggle