Phone, tablet apps making car shopping easy
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Many people look online when its time to get their next set of wheels. But now, car buying and leasing is more high tech than ever.
From financing apps to pop-up shops to digital dealerships, technology is making it a lot easier to buy a car before you even get behind the wheel.
Julie Dunn spends a lot of time in her car running errands. Now when she's parked and waiting for her kids, she's car shopping from it, too.
"I have been using my iPad and my smartphone and I've found two or three apps that I use," Dunn said.
Apps she prefers include Cars.com and AutoTrader.
"I plug in my search, the kind of car I'm looking for, and if something comes up in that area, they'll send me an alert," she said.
Scotty Reiss of shebuyscars.com says technology is putting more power in the palm of the buyers' hands.
"Every car maker, every manufacturer, every seller is making it easier for consumers to find them digitally," Reiss said.
Reiss says you'll also want to check out evaluative apps, which can tell you what you should expect to pay for a specific car. Also, it's worth checking out consumer advocate apps to check the vehicle's history or dealer's reputation and car payment calculator apps to look into financing.
"Customers were spending up to 6 hours searching for and trying to buy automobiles at the dealership. With the new technology, we're finding that the time spent at the dealership has been reduced to three, four hours and in some cases even more," said George Athan with DCH Auto Group.
Athan oversees sales for a large auto group and hopes technology will continue to drive down buyer's time at the dealer to as low as one hour. Digital dealerships, where you can essentially build a car on the spot, could help speed things along in the future.
"It's an exciting time. It's changing at light speed. The buyer is much different, better informed," Athan said.
Some websites allow you to buy a car simply by text messaging. One website says 25 percent of its transactions are done simply by texts.
action13, jeff ehling
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Suspects posing as officers break into home 5 min ago
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots
- HPD: Baybrook Mall employee abducted, raped
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 5 Things to Know for Today 17 min ago
- Cop throws K-9 through suspect's window after chase 31 min ago
- UFC heavyweight fighter dies at age 30 43 min ago
- Man accused of pranking notable coaches about jobs arrested
- Doctor accused of poisoning fellow physician due in court 40 min ago
- Holiday mail: You're running out of time!
- Would you 'Like' a Facebook 'Sympathize' button?
- Backyard sinkhole nightmare finally ends
- Man shot while behind the wheel in SE Houston
- Travis Herzog's Tuesday weather forecast
51 min ago