What's the Deal: Metal cleaners
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Now's the time to start pulling out your silver and other metals for the holidays! If they're a little tarnished -- don't run to the store and spend money on expensive cleaners!
Just open your pantry, everything you need to get them sparkly and new you probably already have right at home. Domestic Diva Leisl Albers shows us three different ways to clean your silver.
For a quick clean, try toothpaste!
"What you do is just rub it on you can use your finger or a cloth and the tarnish will come right off," she said. "The toothpaste is turning black - that's the tarnish coming off."
This is a good one for your silver that has a lot of detail work. Boil water, salt, baking soda and a few pieces of aluminum foil. Drop in your silver for about 5 minutes. Rinse with cold water and wipe dry immediately to avoid spots.
"Another solution for silver is you can mix up a paste of baking soda and water just rub it on the silver and it will shine it right up," she said.
For brass or copper, cream of tartar and lemon juice will do the trick. Just mix it into a paste, rub it on and let it sit for 15 minutes. Rinse and dry immediately.
"Some other easy solutions for brass are milk, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco tomato paste or ketchup, we're going to use Worcestershire sauce." Leisl said.
Leisl says it's the acid in these ingredients that make them work so well!
You'll want to cover it with a light coating olive oil, which again is an inexpensive solution that someone has in their pantry, they olive oil retards brass from tarnishing as quickly again," she explains.
Cream of tartar can also remove caked-on gunk from aluminum pans. Just sprinkle about 3-4 tablespoons in the bottom, fill with water -- make sure it's dissolved and bake in the oven, on 400 degrees, for an hour.
For more money-saving ideas watch Deals, right here on ABC 13 and ABC 13.2, Saturdays at 10 am!
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Police: Woman tried to abduct boy walking to school
- HFD vehicle involved in deadly accident
- ABC13 gets exclusive tour of home after drug bust
- Neighbors forced to pull up community garden
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Arrested partiers claim Galveston police went too far
- HPD officer involved in northeast Houston crash
- Fire engulfs northeast Houston home
- Obama imposes sanctions over Ukraine crisis
- Man to be tried as adult for deadly childhood attack
- Two arrested in deadly hit-and-run on FM 1960
- Woman asleep in Bieber's rented home arrested
- Woman's mummified body found at Detroit-area home