Police: Sugar Land crime rate drops in 2011
SUGAR LAND, TX (KTRK) -- Crime in Sugar Land has dropped, according to the Sugar Land Police Department's 2011 Annual Report.
Since 2009, Part 1 crimes have dropped 27 percent. Part 1 crimes include assault, auto theft, burglary, homicide, theft, robbery and auto burglary.
Sugar Land's Part 1 crime rate in 2011 was 17.95 per capita, down from 23.89 in 2010, which was almost half the state's rate of 42.33 and well below the national average of 33.46. State and national crime rate data is not yet available for 2011.
Since 2007, investigative clearance rates have improved by 21 percent.
Average response time to emergency calls in 2011 was 2:56, down from 3:05 in 2010, 4:42 in 2009 and 4:54 in 2008.
An area of focus during 2011 included non-violent crime categories, including shoplifting and vehicle burglaries.
Police initiatives implemented to address property crimes included a partnership with retail districts and neighborhoods to encourage the use of cameras for security purposes. SLPD also utilized a special task force that focuses exclusively on vehicle burglaries, shopper safety and public education.
"We are committed to providing exceptional public safety services and taking a leadership role in building community partnerships," said Sugar Land Police Chief Doug Brinkley, who credits a strong police presence and active citizens for Sugar Land's low crime rate. "It's important for us to stay connected to the community, which enables us to work together to create a safe environment to live and work."
Police visibility, overtime initiatives and regional partnerships contributed to the department's goal of ensuring Sugar Land remains one of the "Safest Cities in America."
sugar land, crime tracker
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co.
- Frustration mounts for church members
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Search continues for clues in women's murders
- Driver charged in deadly SXSW wreck
- Funny video from Jessica Willey's Colorado...
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- Students, parents react after HISD vote
- Photos: Maroon 5 draws massive Rodeo crowd
- Richmond traffic stop leads to drug bust
- Pearland mom honored on 'Live with Kelly and Michael'