Surveillance video released in fatal drive-by shooting of baby
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Houston police have released new video which they say shows two men wanted in connection with the shooting death of an 11-month-old girl. She was killed while sitting in her family's vehicle when someone drove by and opened fire.
In the surveillance video, there are two suspects, one appearing to have a crowbar and be seen running away. Police say they're the men they believe shot and killed the baby on August 19 at 3am.
"The men fled after not being able to get into that house. After they fled, we believe the same two men came back around and committed a drive-by shooting on the address," said HPD Sgt. Ryan Chandler.
He says that morning in the pouring rain, the two men tried to break into a house in the 8300 block of Ponnel Lane, only to be forced out by the homeowner. At that point, a car carrying four adults and the baby, Forever Donnato, pulled into the same driveway not knowing that a robbery almost just occurred.
"So they pulled in looking to visit family, right after they pulled in, the car came back around and fired several shots and Forever Donatto is shot," Sgt. Chandler said.
One of the bullets penetrated the back seat of the car and struck the baby. She was transported to Texas Children's Hospital where she was pronounced dead.
Police say if you look closely at the video, even splattered with rain, you can make out a dark, full-sized SUV driven by the suspects. They want people who may have information to come forward so these two suspects wanted for killing a baby girl can be caught.
"If any of the other variables could have changed, this may have had a different outcome, but it was the worse than it ever could be," said Sgt. Chandler.
The motive for the shooting is unknown at this time, police say.
Anyone with information on the suspect(s) and/or the wanted vehicle in this case is urged to contact the HPD Homicide Division at 713-308-3600 or Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
Crime Stoppers will pay up to $5,000 for any information called in to the 713-222-TIPS (8477) or submitted online at www.crime-stoppers.org that leads to the filing of felony charges or arrest of the suspect(s) in this case. Tips can also be sent by text message. Text TIP610 plus your tip to CRIMES (274637). All tipsters remain anonymous.
- Search in OK nears complettion; tornado was EF5
- Houston will host Super Bowl LI in 2017
- Alligator found between homes in Fort Bend County
- Child abducted walking home from school
- Watching line of storms to our north
- 2nd suspect in Alief murders surrenders
- Katy Fire Chief indicted in Valium diversion case
- U.S. Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Menil Picasso vandal sentenced to 2 years
- Houston women take on fight to end sex trafficking
- Officials link College Station's E. coli cases to restaurant
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 'Very graphic' devastation at OK elem. school
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos