Knife-wielding girl protects brothers and scares off suspect
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Officials are hoping a sketch will help find a man who broke into a home, but was scared off by a brave 13-year-old girl who was defending herself and her brothers with a butcher knife.
Houston police were called to a home in the 3500 block of Vintage at about 8:30am on Saturday, October 6.
A 13-year-old girl was inside with her younger brothers when the suspect knocked on the front door. Investigators say the girl didn't open the door, so the suspect went to the back door and knocked again. When no one responded, investigators say the suspect tried to knock down the back door, but was unsuccessful.
That's when officials say the suspect went back to the front door, slammed into it repeatedly until he forced it open and went inside. The girl reportedly grabbed a butcher knife and, when the suspect grabbed her by the arm, investigators say the girl raised the knife to defend herself.
The suspect then fled the scene on foot and headed northbound on West Huntington. He crossed a bridge over the bayou and continued eastbound.
Police believe the suspect had been at the residence previously on October 1 and stole some electronics.
The suspect is described as a black male in his late 20s, about 5-foot-11, with a thin build.
Anyone with information in this case is urged to contact the HPD Burglary and Theft Division at 713-308-0900 or Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Most insane job interview ever
- Firetruck plows into LA-area cafe; 15 hurt 28 min ago
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced 54 min ago
- German Shepherd called to jury duty in New Jersey 26 min ago
- Robber who was homesick for prison to be sentenced 12 min ago
- Fears rise for missing in SKorea ferry sinking 33 min ago
- All 'View' co-hosts will salute Barbara Walters 54 min ago