Knife-wielding girl protects brothers and scares off suspect
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Officials are hoping a sketch will help find a man who broke into a home, but was scared off by a brave 13-year-old girl who was defending herself and her brothers with a butcher knife.
Houston police were called to a home in the 3500 block of Vintage at about 8:30am on Saturday, October 6.
A 13-year-old girl was inside with her younger brothers when the suspect knocked on the front door. Investigators say the girl didn't open the door, so the suspect went to the back door and knocked again. When no one responded, investigators say the suspect tried to knock down the back door, but was unsuccessful.
That's when officials say the suspect went back to the front door, slammed into it repeatedly until he forced it open and went inside. The girl reportedly grabbed a butcher knife and, when the suspect grabbed her by the arm, investigators say the girl raised the knife to defend herself.
The suspect then fled the scene on foot and headed northbound on West Huntington. He crossed a bridge over the bayou and continued eastbound.
Police believe the suspect had been at the residence previously on October 1 and stole some electronics.
The suspect is described as a black male in his late 20s, about 5-foot-11, with a thin build.
Anyone with information in this case is urged to contact the HPD Burglary and Theft Division at 713-308-0900 or Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind 45 min ago
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud 34 min ago
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk 21 min ago
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado school dies 26 min ago
- New Houston light rail line opens for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Man barricades himself in house after allegedly killing wife
- 4 arrested on murder charges in NJ mall carjacking
- Ice pellets and snow frustrate holiday travel rush
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Elf on the Shelf stress hits some parents hard
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?