Serial rapist on loose in north Harris County
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Authorities are looking for at least one serial rapist on the north side of Harris County.
The Harris County Sheriff's Office says there have been seven sexual assaults in the Cypress Station area since 2011, and they believe one or possibly two suspects are responsible. They have released three sketches created with the help of the victims in an effort to find the suspect or suspects.
"Anybody out in the public who may have seen somebody who looks like the composite drawings, or if anybody's been talking about doing this type of crime in that area, to please come forward and let us know," said Lt. Ruben Diaz with the Harris County Sheriff's Office. "Help us try to capture these guys."
Authorities say the victims are escorts, and the suspect contacts them online, then takes them to an empty apartment and sexually assaults them.
Investigators say DNA evidence has linked at least three of the attacks to one suspect. They are still waiting for DNA test results to be returned on the four other cases.
"We've confirmed at least three of these assaults are the same through DNA," Lt. Diaz said. "We're waiting on the results of four more. They all might be the same. We have at least three and that's way too many."
The attacks have increased in frequency, according to the sheriff's office. They say the attacks occurred in December 2011, then in May, October and December 2012. Two women were attacked in January of this year, and yet another just this month.
Crime Stoppers will pay up to $5,000 for any information called in to the 713-222-TIPS (8477) or submitted online at www.crime-stoppers.org that leads to the filing of felony charges or arrest of the suspect(s) in this case. Tips can also be sent by text message. Text TIP610 plus your tip to CRIMES (274637). All tipsters remain anonymous.
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Helping military families, one child at a time
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Young artists put on unique display
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Man killed by authorities 'Into the wild' hunter
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?
- Workers recover Bible from rubble of NYC buildings
- Police: Man lived with dead wife for days
- Girl, 5, spends day at wrong school
- Search expands for missing Rice U student
- Siblings rescued 8 hours after getting lost in woods