ATM robbery caught on camera in NW Harris County; Crime Stoppers offer reward for information
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Crime Stoppers is trying to get the word out about an unusual robbery. It was all caught by a camera and police hope you can help catch the thief before he strikes again.
It happened around 8:50pm February 6 at an ATM in the 6600 block of West FM 1960. And while the customer saw the thief coming, it still didn't stop him from becoming a victim.
Sheriff's deputies say the victim was making a routine stop like many of us do. The victim was trying to make a deposit at the ATM after dark when he saw the masked man captured in video coming his way.
"That is frightening," ATM customer Julie Pedro said.
Customers using ATMs along that stretch of FM 1960 took a close look at the man investigators are searching for. Many say they try to avoid the ATM at night but it's not always possible.
"I try not to but I have. And every time I do I always watch my surroundings and make sure there is no one around, because you can never be too cautious," Perez said.
"I try to not do it at night, and if somebody is around I move to another one," ATM customer Pedro Bolivar said.
The victim handed over the cash he was trying to deposit but was injured as he drove away.
"We can't see the suspects face because he is wearing a bandana to conceal his identity but he's wearing a really distinctive jacket," said Ryan Sullivan with Crime Stoppers of Houston. "Somebody out there knows this suspect and knows that jacket, so we're hoping the citizens will take a look at that jacket, watch the video."
Crime Stoppers urges bank customers to go to well-lit ATMs in crowded areas and bank during the day if possible.
Watching video of the robbery was a reminder to many customers in this northwest side neighborhood to stay alert.
"I was already but now for sure, I guess," Perez said.
The suspect is described as a black male between the ages of 25 and 35 years old. He was about 6 feet 1 inch to 6 feet 3 inches tall and weighed 210-220 pounds. At the time of the offense, the man was wearing a black cap, a bandana concealing his face and a multi-colored jacket.
Crime Stoppers will pay up to $5,000 for any information called in to the 713-222-TIPS (8477) or submitted online at www.crime-stoppers.org that leads to the filing of felony charges or arrest of the suspect(s) in this case. Tips can also be sent by text message. Text TIP610 plus your tip to CRIMES (274637). All tipsters remain anonymous.
crime tracker, christine dobbyn
- Two dead in apparent murder-suicide in Pasadena 6 min ago
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant 1 min ago
- Is Pearland mom the most 'unstoppable?'
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- 'I'm dying' - Crocodile Hunter's final words
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing
- Federal government could get involved in school fight
- Dying child receives experimental drug
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into salon